Thursday, October 1, 2009

Get ready for a Celebration

I am preparing for our family's celebration tonight. Today is October 1st. So we celebrate this day as a kickoff to fall and for all the fun things to come (things that come with the holiday season, you know). We will be celebrating just as last year with caramel apple making and decorating (and eating of course). But this year we are adding something yummy to the dessert menu. My mother in law was given lots of very ripe pears that would not be eaten in time and in turn would be thrown away. So when I saw them on the counter this morning I got the genius idea to make pear crisp. What's more Fall-ish then that? So there you have it, the house smells awesome. And today the air has a crispness to it, by that I mean cold. It is a perfect day to celebrate what is to come. I have hope of good things to come this season. So cheers to October 1st!
Fresh Pear Crisp
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon, divided
3 Tbl reduced fat margarine, cut into pieces
4 cups sliced, peeled pears
2 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp groung ginger
In a bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Cut in margarine until coarse crumbs form; set aside. Place pears in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice, zest, ginger and remaining cinnamon; toss to coat. Transfer to an 8 inch square baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and pears are tender.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds so delicious! I will have to try it. I would love one of the hats in ANY color and I will definitely pay you whatever you are asking! :) I would love to learn how to do that, it's just not in the cards for me right now!

Alerie said...

Bre I have really been missing you lately!! Love you!!

Amber Larsen said...

looks yummy! miss you guys!