Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Peyton + Peanuts = this......

Peyton is one of the millions of people allergic to peanuts, and I think it's pretty severe. We had a scare a couple weeks ago with a store bought chocolate chip cookie, supposedly no peanuts but as you can see in the pictures it had to have had some peanuts in it. You know when the package says "May contain traces of peanuts" This one did and poor Peyton was scratching till he was bloody and coughing and wheezing. I had that EpiPen in my hands ready to use it if he got any worse while praying,"Please let the Benadryl work, please let the Benedryl work". I put him in the tub to try to help relieve him a little and slowly I noticed that he coughed less and less, until the hives went away and he could breathe normally. It is scary and I worry about when he is at other people's houses and I'm not there. But at the grocery store last week I showed him every different jar of peanut butter there was and kept asking him, "what's this?" And he knew what it was and he says, "Peanut butter makes me sick". This week he found a couple chocolates and he showed them to me before putting them in his mouth and said "Is this peanut butter?" I'm glad that he sort of understands.

3 comments:

Natalie Francis said...

Oh my gosh, how scary!!! You can always buy one of the medical bracelets that says he has an allergy to peanuts. That way everyone knows!

Nicole said...

Poor Peyton. That had to be so scary for you as well. How did you guys find out he was allergic the first time?

nelson6 said...

Oh that poor baby! That looks miserable!